Greetings from the Land of Enchantment: Whip It! A review

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Whip It! A review

okay, so I haven't done a movie review in a long time. And it's actually been a few weeks since I saw Whip It!, Drew Barrymore's new vehicle; but it's great fun. Women in roller skates, beating up other women on skates, a young woman's empowered response to rejection and her ultimate victor. Sounds like a feel-good movie yes? It's great fun. I enjoyed every candied minute of it. Located in Austin, Texas, the gritty locale reminded me of my small town VFW Hall. And the banal, dead-end small town could have been my own hometown. All of us want to have something that we're good at. Growing up in a small town, it's never easy to find that thing that will inspire you and even break you out of what would generally be an assumed life: marriage, kids, blue-collar job, etc. This story is a fable of a young girl finding her 'thing', experiencing her first love, and finding her own voice--in the face of lost love. A dad's support is thrown in for good measure--just to make it a true fairy tale. Smile.

While I'm doing reviews--check out Modern Family--my newest favorite show. The best 30 minutes since The Big Bang Theory--at least since the days of my own big bangs...ha! I laugh the entire 30 minutes. Meanwhile I'm reading a great book, There's a place for you, about a woman's first trip to India and her discovery of herself and her mother's childhood in Calcutta.

You've got to love entertainment. Oh and I have video skype that works now...yeah! So I get to see friends, not just talk to them. . . . better than entertainment!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home